Welcome to Mobile Broadband Reviews, a place where I untangle the sticky web of info on mobile broadband to help sensible people make smart decisions when buying mobile internet stuff.
The guy at the kiosk is not your friend.
He’s more concerned with getting a commission and very sadly, knows a lot less than you’d like him to.
As a mobile broadband power user (it’s my only internet connection), I got tired of the lack of info and/or crappy info about getting mobile internet. I got frustrated with having to look across multiple sites with misinformation about mobile broadband.
So I decided to create a site where I or anyone else could find all of the real info needed to make a decision on mobile broadband minus the marketing hype.
What You Can Expect To Find Here
The un-sugarcoated sobering truth in one place with no chaser. Without the fluff, I’ll cover the most important things someone interested in mobile broadband should know like:
- The actual price of mobile broadband and how to find a provider that fits your budget.
- The 3G or 4G speeds a carrier advertises versus what you’ll really get. See who’s honest and who’s blowing smoke in your face.
- Who’s got the best 3G and 4G coverage plus what do if you’re in a dreaded dead zone or fringe area with next to no signal.
- When companies want to give you $50-$100 checks, waive activation fees and even crazy promotions like a Playstation 3, Xbox 360 or Wii.
- The best time to get out of a mobile broadband contract plus specific steps to do it. Stay updated on when companies make changes that void the contract you signed and allow you to cancel your service and avoid the dreaded $200 early termination fee.
- How to deal with 5 GB caps and find companies that offer real unlimited mobile broadband. Find out how the carrier you’re considering or already service through treats the 5 GB cap. Some have hard caps that can cost as much as $234 per GB you go over while others have $10 per GB. Some don’t charge and simply slow you down. Also learn which companies have real unlimited mobile broadband at 3G or 4G speeds.
How I Run Things
Mobile Broadband is my only connection to the internet and I don’t have TV. That means I have to know the latest on mobile internet stuff or I can’t get my work done. Also, no TV means I also use it for my entertainment (music, video, books etc). I’m what the companies like to describe as a power user. I continue to push to see just how much juice I can get out of it.
I post new info twice a week on Mondays & Thursdays whether its good or bad news. This isn’t the site that doesn’t get updated for 2 years and can expect straight talk on whether a device or service is up to snuff, just okay, shady or downright crappy quality.
I recommend a provider or device based on quality, not a sales commission. You’ll get the truth since how I make money isn’t dependent on you even buying mobile broadband (though it helps). Since virtually anything you buy benefits me in some way, I have no incentive to recommend one guy over another. For a full list of every way this site makes money, check this out. I strongly believe in full disclosure.
I read every email and comment. It doesn’t get lost in some statistical sea of data that some huge company then uses to sell you more stuff. Every email and comment go straight to my laptop screen and Blackberry. I’m forever listening, tweaking and figuring out how to make mobile broadband a little better for both of us.
It’s just lil ‘ole me. This isn’t some huge corporate website. It’s just me running the entire operation. Your voice will be heard. I’ve created everything from the website design and logo to every last character in the MBR Buyer’s guide. I write, edit, design and code it all. If you feel like something is broken, needs updating, fixing or tweaking, you tell me and I’ll get to work on it asap. If you’re curious to learn more about the guy behind this site, you can read more about my story here.
Who Reads This?
People generally hang out here for one or all of 3 reasons:
- To get reliable information to make good decisions
- Be on the cutting edge of a liberating and fun technology
- Get online conveniently at an affordable price
If you’re like most people that stick around, read, chat and like the vibe around here, chances are you’re probably a self-motivated person who likes personal freedom, things that provide results, look cool and have functional helpful features but are still safe and make financial sense.
If that’s the case, here’s a quick guide on where to start and how to get the most out of this site.
If you’d like to know more about me personally, check out my story here.